The cause of weight gain is pretty obvious and that is: Easy access to cheap and very tasty food. This is only a problem in wealthy countries. On the flip side, poor third world countries are still struggling with famine and starvation because they don’t have enough food to go around.
The point is that people can easily gain weight when there is lots of food around. We all tend to eat when food is present, so the first order of business for trying to cut down on bodyfat is to start cutting down on over eating too much. But this is much easier said than done.
Eating less food in a society of massive food excess is like putting a crack addict in a crack house and asking them not to touch any crack. It’s almost impossible.
In order to be successful at weight loss you will need a good social support network, a plan, a goal (both long term and short term), regular introspection (to face the reasons why you overeat), and some sort of inner circle of other weight loss people to share your experiences with.
At no point does meal timing, or special foods or supplements enter the equation. The only thing about you nutrition you’ll ever need to know is calories in vs calories out, that is 1% of the battle. The other 99% is how you build a team of friends and family to help you eat less which is the hard part.
Diet and nutrition books that have good and bad food lists and complex eating patterns may actually make the whole experience even more difficult.
You already know what foods are more likely than not to be better for your overall health and which ones will cause you more hassle than they’re worth…you don’t need anyone else to remind you of this or make you feel any worse about eating.
The key to success is getting to the root of why you overeat and then changing that behavior. You might be an emotional eater or you might just overeat at social events, heck most people just eat out of boredom. Many foods are now engineered to taste so good that they become highly addictive, and some of us eat out of guilt that we’re not eating right.
Once you get to the root of the real reasons you eat (hunger isn’t one of them as we have far too much access to food for hunger to ever be an issue) then you can start putting a plan in place to start eating less.
My first guess is that most people have really boring daily routines and that food is one of the only things to look forward too. In fact I would argue that almost all the other factors take a backseat to this one. I think most people just don’t like what they do on a daily basis enough for it to keep them occupied or more interested than the next meal does.
Well what if food was removed from the equation?
Imagine that you didn’t need to eat to sustain yourself, what would you do with all of your free time?
That’s not an easy question to answer.
If you can come up with even a couple interesting answers to this question then you’ve got some of the key elements that should go into your weight loss program.
Once you expose the true reasons you eat and overeat then you can start working on changing them for lasting weight loss success.
John Barban is the Author of the Adonis Index Workout, a specific method for building a guy’s body into its most attractive shape: the shape women find attractive and that creates social dominance with men. Go to Adonis Index Workout and get started on your road to a perfectly proportioned body so start building the body women want.